CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1382684.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:18:47.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 22654 48622
SP24NW Church of St Mary 1912-1/6/175 02/08/72 (Formerly Listed as: ALDERMINSTER Church of St Mary)
Church. Late C11 nave with early C12 eastern half; late C12 chancel, lengthened in early C13 and remodelled c1500. C17 bellcote, repairs and shortening of nave; C18 and C19 restorations. MATERIALS: rubble, including some late C11 herringbone to nave western half, and coursed squared stone; ashlar dressings; slate roofs and shingled bellcote. Coped gables. EXTERIOR: chancel has offset plinth; c1500 5-light east window with 2 king mullions between 2 shallow buttresses; 3 shields to gable. North side has C12 round-headed light altered to lancet in C13, and 2:1:2-light straight-headed c1500 window to east with part of blocked entrance below. South side has 2 similar windows, one partly raised over C13 priest's entrance; traces of blocked windows. Nave north side has rubble and ashlar, offset buttress, eaves corbels and C12 round-headed light to east half, some herringbone masonry to west half. South side of nave is similar, of ashlar, and has probably C18 straight-headed window with 3 elliptical-headed lights to east, some contemporary ashlar and buttress; west half has late C13 window and re-set C12 round-headed entrance of single order, C17 ashlar above incorporates relief of Paschal Lamb with worn painted sundial to left dated 1646. C17 west wall including straight-headed window of 3 elliptical-headed lights, small shuttered light above and timber-framed square bellcote with shingling to walls and pyramid roof; 3-light louvred bell openings with enriched heads. INTERIOR: chancel has C19 waggon roof, north and south walls slope outwards; wide hollow-chamfered reveals of east window have hacked-off image plinths on octagonal shafts and mutilated canopies; north side has C15 tomb recess, jambs to 2 removed C12 windows and jambs of blocked opening; south side has blocked C12 window and signs of another, rectangular recess with piscina bowl to left; east end has shallow recess rebated for door to right. Chancel arch has C12 responds with paired shafts and C13 triple-stop-chamfered arch. Nave has C17 roof trusses with queen struts to collars, and earlier arch-braced timber posts supporting bellcote; re-set panel of Anglo-Danish interlace to west wall. FITTINGS: chancel has enriched panelling to east wall with cornice and cresting, recess to right has open-work door; 2 housel benches, one C17 and one dated 1923. Nave has pulpit with early C17 panels to 3 sides; early C17 painted Royal Arms in nowy-headed frame, altered c1714; C18 plain octagonal font; screened-in vestry to north-west angle and screen by entrance. STAINED GLASS: C15 chancel side windows have late C15 glass, sacred monograms, armorial bearings and flowers in tracery, with decorative C19 quarries below; C19 glass in tracery of east window, and figure to central light; C19 figure in north wall west window; nave west window has 1989 panel. MONUMENTS: William Smyth, rector, d.1442: chest tomb to north side of chancel has white marble slab with moulded edge and incised with cross, chalice and book; black-letter inscription to border; later graffiti including outline of foot and R W 1759. 2 floor slabs to Lucy Ann and Hester, d.1681 and 1686, wives of Thomas Mariett. Floor slab to members of Richard Marriett's family, d.1701, 1702, 1704. Sculpture: re-set stone to right of west window has Anglo-Danish interlace panel to one end. The church stands on the site of a medieval village deserted by the mid C16; only a barn and cottage dated 1826 stand near. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 471-2; Victoria County Histories: Styles P: Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire: 1945-: 211-3; St Mary the Virgin, Whitchurch (4-page leaflet)).
Listing NGR: SP2265448622
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
St Mary the Virgin, Whitchurch
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 471-72
Styles, P, The Victoria History of the County of Warwickshire, (1945), 211-13
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing