OLD BLUECOAT SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1384454

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: OLD BLUECOAT SCHOOL, BISHOPGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD BLUECOAT SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384454 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Apr-2019 at 15:45:35.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD BLUECOAT SCHOOL, BISHOPGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 58130 05673

Details

SD5805NW 24-1/7/2

WIGAN BISHOPGATE (East side) Old Bluecoat School

24/10/51 GV II Church Little House, c.mid C18, later used by a charity school, and more recently as a garage/workshop then latterly as an exhibition room. The Bluecoat school was founded 1773, but the building appears earlier; reference is made in church accounts of 1743 to the 'Church Little House', which is thought to be this building. It was probably restored in C19, remodelled and reduced from 2 storeys since 1951. Coursed sandstone rubble, slate roof. Now a single cell with canted outshut to rear. EXTERIOR: Gabled single-storey 2-window facade to Bishopgate, symmetrical, with square-headed doorway (now blocked with stone) flanked by mullioned 2-light windows, all these openings with double-chamfered surrounds and hood-moulds; double-chamfered lancet in gable above (now ventilator). 2-window right-hand (south) side has former left window enlarged as garage doorway but now filled by a modern door, and to the right a cross-window, both these openings with hood-moulds; and a blocked cellar window below the latter. Rear gable has extruded chimney; outshut has cross-window in east end. INTERIOR: Fixed to the interior of the eastern gable wall is the timber frame of one bay of a (probably) C15 house, formerly at No.76 Standishgate (not included). The frame incorporates a 4-centred arched doorway and chevron patterning. King post truss to the roof. Forms part of important group centred on Church of All Saints (qv).





Listing NGR: SD5813005673

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 484888

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing