MORTUARY CHAPEL IN TIVERTON CEMETERY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1384875

Date first listed: 10-Apr-2000

Statutory Address: MORTUARY CHAPEL IN TIVERTON CEMETERY, PARK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MORTUARY CHAPEL IN TIVERTON CEMETERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384875 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2019 at 18:13:40.

Location

Statutory Address: MORTUARY CHAPEL IN TIVERTON CEMETERY, PARK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Tiverton

National Grid Reference: SS 95682 13524

Details

TIVERTON

SS9513 PARK ROAD, Tiverton 848-1/5/242 (East side) Mortuary chapel in Tiverton Cemetery

GV II

Mortuary chapel. 1855 by GA Boyce of Tiverton. Squared purple-red stone rubble with Bath stone dressings. Slated roof. Anglo-Norman style. EXTERIOR: nave has 3 single light, round-headed windows on each side, with 3 more on the apse. Flat buttresses between and flanking the windows. At west end a round-arched doorway with attached columns; double plank doors, studded and with ornate iron strap-hinges. Above it a similar, single light window. Stone cross on gable. On eastern gable the base of a former stone bell turret. Gutters carried on stone corbel tables carved with grotesque heads. INTERIOR: has simple wooden pews at either side of a centre aisle, the pew-ends carved with quatrefoils. Wooden alter with trefoil-headed panels. Dado of upright planking. Arch-braced roof, the feet of the braces resting on moulded stone corbels. There may be patterned tiles under the fitted carpets. The chapel contains an old wooden coffin-carriage with iron wheels having solid rubber tyres. Brass maker's plate: DOTTRIDGE BROS. LTD. DORSET WORKS. EAST ROAD, LONDON, N. this was one of 2 chapels built by the Burial Board for the Parish of Tiverton `according to the plans and drawings relating thereto prepared by Mr Gideon Acland Boyce, the Architect to the said Burial Board'; that for the nonconformists has been demolished, that for the Church of England survives. HISTORY: Boyce's drawing for the nonconformist chapel (identical to the surviving one) is preserved in the devon Record Office. It was approved in August 1855 and was to be finished, along with the other chapel, lodge and entrance gates, by 1 August 1856. Plans for re-seating both chapels were prepared by William Rowe of Tiverton in 1891, this being done, and the floors laid with decorative tiles, by 1892.



Listing NGR: SS9568213524

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 485334

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing