This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1385904



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Eastbourne

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 471323

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



623/7/10034 Bandstand, Colonnade and two covered viewing Decks


Bandstand with attached colonnade and viewing decks. Built in 1935 to the designs of the Borough Council Engineer, Leslie Rosevere. Neo-Grec style, constructed of cream faience with some decorative blue, green and black faience. PLAN: It is of a symmetrical design with the bandstand set in a sweeping open arcade facing two covered viewing decks topped with an open viewing area, all to take advantage of the change in level from the promenade to the seafront. The bandstand is of circular plan form which is truncated on the seaward side. EXTERIOR: The bandstand has a deep blue shallow saucer roof in two steps surmounted by a conical finial (now replaced in glass reinforced plastic). The moulded cornice incorporates a strip of opaque brown and yellow glass providing integral lighting. The roof is supported by four giant fluted composite columns set on a raised fluted podium with a flight of steps at each side. It has a set of sliding hardwood doors set in a channel to run behind the columns. The ceiling supports a contemporary square clock. There is a date tablet to the southern elevation. The open colonnade and two covered viewing areas are constructed with Tuscan columns supporting raised walkways protected by railings replaced in the later C20 and there is a band of mosaicwork, also late C20. The colonnade and lower viewing areas have an identical strip of opaque glass providing illumination. The columns to the colonnade on the sea elevation have largely been replaced in fibreglass and the original water drainage, which originally ran through the columns, altered to bring it down externally. During concerts the lower level viewing area is protected by sliding doors set inside the curved colonnade and these are neatly stored in adjacent ancillary buildings when not in use. The upper viewing platform is built of brick with a flat roof and is openfronoted on the seaward side supported on seventeen faience columns and two end piers. The interior has four wide steps for the accomodation of deckchairs and the rear wall is hung with green faience tiles with a reeded top band in cream and black and a dark blue band near the base and black plinth. The roof railings were replaced in the late C20 not to their original design and the triple globular lights on columns are also replacements. The lower viewing area is of identical size with an open colonnade at the front and similar multi-coloured faience tiling but there are no steps. The central courtyard, lower viewing area and colonnade are paved with granolithic paving with geometrical designed slab in red, green and yellow with some cement repairs. The lower colonnade contains a bronze and granite memorial to a local orchestral musician who died on the Titanic in 1912. HISTORY: This structure replaced a Victorian bandstand shown in an 1899 Frith photograph. The complex was built in 1935 to the designs of the Borough Council Engineer, Leslie Rosevere as part of a seafront improvement scheme. STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE: A stylish and ambitious seaside improvement scheme of 1935 in Neo-Grec style of several different colours of faience tiles comprising bandstand, colonnade and two covered viewing decks.

Listing NGR: TV6156798586

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TV 61541 98606, TV 61547 98583


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385904 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2017 at 05:08:24.

End of official listing