FORMER D'ISNEY PLACE HOTEL AND ATTACHED RAILING

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1388536

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1953

Statutory Address: 24 and 24a, Eastgate, Lincoln

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER D'ISNEY PLACE HOTEL AND ATTACHED RAILING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388536 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 09:22:38.

Location

Statutory Address: 24 and 24a, Eastgate, Lincoln

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: Lincoln (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 98025 71911

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 09/12/2015

SK9871NW 1941-1/10/107

LINCOLN, EASTGATE (South side), Nos. 24 and 24a (Former D'Isney Place Hotel) and attached railing

(Formerly listed as D'Isney Place Hotel and attached railing)

08/10/53

GV II*

House, formerly used as an hotel. 1736, built by Abraham Hayward for John Disney. Large late C19 wings in a similar style. Brick with stone dressings and plain tile and slate roofs, with 3 gable and single ridge stacks. EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth and quoins, eaves cornice, coped parapet. Main block, 3 storeys, 5 bays, double range plan, flanked by lower wings, 6 bays and 3 bays. Main block has a central late C19 brick porch with parapet, and reset stone doorcase, 1736, with pediment on consoles and fielded 6-panel door. On either side, 2 glazing bar sashes. Above, 5 similar sashes, and above again, 5 smaller sashes. All these windows have segmental heads and keystones. To left, 2 storey wing with 6 similar sashes on each floor. To right, single storey wing, with 3 similar sashes. Rear elevation has first and second floor bands, and parapet with 5 baluster panels. Similar fenestration to the front, with C19 plain sashes. To left, a late C19 canted conservatory. INTERIOR has an original open well wooden staircase with carved string, panelled soffit, vase and stem balusters and ramped scrolled handrail, fully restored c1985. Stairwell has oval panelled plaster ceiling. Drawing room and breakfast room have full height fielded panelling, enriched plaster panelled ceilings and cornices, and C19 fireplaces. Breakfast room also has two 6-panel doors with moulded architraves. First-floor landing has round headed doorcases with keystones. Outside, a good late C19 cast-iron spearhead railing to the main block, with stone plinth and brick piers. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 515).





Listing NGR: SK9802571911

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 485981

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 515

End of official listing