Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CANTILUPE CHANTRY SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388662 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 17:03:47.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Lincoln (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 97843 71738



SK9771NE MINSTER YARD 1941-1/9/247 (South side) 08/10/53 No.16 Cantilupe Chantry South


Former house of the priests serving the chantry established by Nicholas, third Lord Cantilupe, now a house. 1355, extended 1366. Restored and remodelled c1843-1845. Ashlar, with hipped and gabled slate and pantile roofs with gable, ridge and side wall stacks. Coped north gable with finial, crenellated parapet to south. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus attics, 3 bays. East front has to right a traceried panelled door, C19, in a C14 surround with hoodmould and mask stops, resited from the north gable. To its left, two 2-light flat headed windows with ogee headed lights. Above, 3 similar windows. Above again, two raking dormers, C19, with 2-light pointed arched windows. North gable has a hipped stone oriel window on C14 figured corbels, with C19 tracery. On either side, shields with the arms of Cantilupe and Zouch. Above, a moulded niche with a seated figure. South side has a brick plinth and a corbelled-out truncated stack. To left, 3 glazing bar sashes on each floor. To right, 2 blocked lancets, and above, a 2-light window with flat head and ogee headed lights. INTERIOR remodelled with Gothick style joinery c1845, and later C19. Main rooms on each floor have flat headed doorcases with cusped pointed arched panels and quatrefoil paterae, and doors with 2 cusped pointed arched panels. Ground floor rooms have moulded plaster cornices and plain friezes. Study has stone fireplace, and adjoining dining room has Classical style wooden fireplace, both C19. First floor drawing room has a frieze of trefoils and pendants, a flat headed recess flanked by round columns with foliage capitals, and a C19 Classical style wooden fireplace. Adjoining bedroom has a similar frieze. Rear stairwell has an arch braced matchboarded roof with skylights, and a dogleg stair with square newels and turned balusters, c1870. Cellar under south range has C14 spine beam carried on posts, and C19 wine bins at the east end. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 489; Jones S: The Survey of Ancient Houses in Lincoln: Lincoln: 1987-: 65-73; Report and overall assessment of listable quality: Hewlings R: Secular properties..... in

Lincoln Minster Close: London: 1987-).

Listing NGR: SK9784371738


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Hewlings, R, Secular properties in Lincoln Minster Close, (1987)
Jones, , Major, , Varley, , The Survey of Ancient Houses in Lincoln (2nd fascicule), (1987), 65-73
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 489


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/11962/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Miles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].