WILKINSONS (FORMERLY BINNS DEPARTMENT STORE)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1390598
Date first listed:
01-Sep-2003
Statutory Address:
WILKINSONS (FORMERLY BINNS DEPARTMENT STORE), VICTORIA ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1390598.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Aug-2021 at 19:07:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
WILKINSONS (FORMERLY BINNS DEPARTMENT STORE), VICTORIA ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Hartlepool (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NZ 50891 32530

Details



1676/0/10014 VICTORIA ROAD 01-SEP-03 Wilkinson's (formerly Binns Department Store)

II Shop and furniture store. c.1900. Possibly designed by W Basil Scott (engineer) for Gray, Peverell & Co. Ltd. Partly steel-framed, red brick with faience dressings and slate roofs. 3 storey. Moulded first and second floor faience bands. Main east front has 6 windows. Ground floor has bronzed metal window frames and a bricked up corner doorway to the right. Above 6 large windows all with 3-light cross casements and flanking rusticated half-pilasters. The single outer windows have flat-headed faience surrounds with keystones and the 4 central inner round-headed windows also have keystones. Above again central 4 small windows have faience surrounds under a broad shallow pediment. Either side are set-back similar windows with faience balustrades to the balconies. Each of these outer windows is topped by a square lantern tower with a lead pyramidal roof. These towers have pilastered corners and circular faces those on the right with clock faces, those on the left with windows. North front has 25 windows arranged 3:5:17. The ground floor has bronzed metal shop-windows and a bricked up doorway at the right corner. The 3 window section to right has similar fenestration to the east front topped with a faience balustrade. The next 5 window section has 5 tall sash windows in moulded faience surrounds with keystones and above 5 smaller sashes in moulded faience surrounds. Above a deeply moulded brick eaves band with faience brackets and 5 dormer windows with open pediments and sashes. 17 window section has flat roof with low parapet topped with plain faience coping. The fenestration is similar to the 5 window section though the windows are divided into pairs by plain timber panels which hide the steel frame which supports this section of the building, there is a single window at the right and another single window on thw curved corner also flanked by timber pilasters hiding the steel frame. West front has 5 similar windows, over late C20 shop fronts, again divided by timber pilasters which hide the uprights to the steel-frame. INTERIOR retains a complete set of original steel upright supporting the steel-frame. This building is an impressive example of late-Victorian commercial architecture and one of the very earliest examples of a steel-framed building constructed in Britain. It may even be the earliest steel-framed building in Britain which W Basil Scott [engineer] at one time claimed he had constructed in West Hartlepool in 1896, but unfortunately no serious documentary evidence has as yet been uncovered to confirm or deny this claim.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
490583
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].