14-17, PIERREPONT STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394393

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: 14-17, PIERREPONT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 14-17, PIERREPONT STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394393 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 09:06:44.

Location

Statutory Address: 14-17, PIERREPONT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 75229 64670

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PIERREPONT STREET 656-1/41/1257 (West side) Nos.14-17 (Consec) (Formerly Listed as: PIERREPONT STREET (West side) Nos 7-17 (consec) & St James's Portico & No.6 Pierrepont Place) 12/06/50

GV II

Houses, now houses with offices over. c1745. By John Wood the Elder, who describes "a row of fifth-rate houses of the grander sort". MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar with Welsh slate roofs. PLAN: Double depth plan except No.17 single depth, now amalgamated with No.6 North Parade (qv). STYLE: Palladian style. Forms right hand end of terrace of thirty-eight bays (Nos 7-17 Pierrepont Street and No.6 North Parade) twenty:three:fifteen. EXTERIOR: Three storeys, attics and cellars, each three bays, except that No.14 has additional bay to left, listed under St James's Portico (qv). Shop fronts to ground floor, that of No.17 has part of an Edwardian style post 1926 one with No.6 North Parade (qv), others later C20. No.15 of 1928 style (similar to No.14 Cheap Street qv). No.14 has six panelled door and pedimented doorcase with Tuscan pilasters. No.17 has rusticated doorway of c1910. First floor windows all late C19 plate glass sashes, plain with cornice heads and dropped sills except No.14. Second floor has six/six-sashes of late C18 type. No.17 has plain sash. Modillion cornice, parapet, mansard roof, two flat topped dormers, No.14 has one, ashlar stacks, pots only to No.15. No.14 has L-shaped three window elevation to Pierrepont Place, ashlar, six/six-sashes, part included in listing for St James's Portico (qv). INTERIORS: Not inspected. HISTORY: Part of John Wood's uncompleted scheme for the Duke of Kingston¿s estate on the former Abbey Orchard, 1740-1748, creating a formal link from North to South Parade, parallel with Duke St, which was to have led out to Wood¿s epic-scaled (and never realised) plan for a `Royal Forum¿ to the south-east of the old city walls. The houses have undergone some alteration but remain an integral part of a major scheme of urban improvement. SOURCES: Mowl T and Earnshaw B: John Wood Architect of Obsession: Bath: 1988-: 135-147; Field G: Shopfront Record, Bath City Council: 1992-.

Listing NGR: ST7522964670

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 509802

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing