JEW'S CEMETERY, WALLS AND OHEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1396344
Date first listed:
07-Mar-2006
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Oct-2010
Statutory Address:
JEW'S CEMETERY, WALLS AND OHEL, GREENDOWN PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of JEW'S CEMETERY, WALLS AND OHEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1396344.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Jun-2020 at 19:08:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
JEW'S CEMETERY, WALLS AND OHEL, GREENDOWN PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 75489 62373

Details

GREENDOWN PLACE, Combe Down (East side)

07/03/06 Jews' Cemetery, walls and Ohel (formerly listed as GREENDOWN PLACE, Combe Down, Jewish Burial Ground and Chapel)

GV II

Jewish Cemetery including walls, gates and Ohel (chapel). 1836, built of coursed rubble. The cemetery occupies a rectangular site running for approximately 30m east- west along Bradford Road and bounded by Greendown Place to the west and No.174 Bradford Road (qv) to the east. The site, surrounded by tall (approx. 2.5m) rubble stone walls on the north, west and south, is accessed via hooped-iron gates on Greendown Place, to the right of which lies the Ohel. The Ohel is a single room, gabled building built of stone rubble with some ashlar to the eastern façade. The Ohel originally had a pantiled roof (tiles in store at time of inspection 2005); the stone coping to the south gable remains. The Ohel is entered through a plank door on the north gable end and there is a two/two sash window on the western façade fronting Greendown Place. There is a truncated gable end stack on the south side. Internally, a plain stone surround to the fireplace remains on the eastern wall, to the right of a blocked doorway. The cemetery contains approximately fifty memorial stones, including two chest tombs. A stone plaque set in the southern wall is no longer legible. A small square opening, since blocked in, on the northern wall opposite the Ohel may have accommodated a basin for the ritual washing of hands of visitors to the cemetery. HISTORY: The land was purchased from Henry Street in 1812 and it is not known when the cemetery was opened but it is likely to have been circa 1836, before the opening of the Kingsmead Street Synagogue. The earliest gravestone is dated 1842, the latest 1921. SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: This is one of only fifteen cemeteries surviving from the Georgian period in the country. The cemetery is notable for the survival of its Ohel(chapel) and the presence of two chest tombs. Despite a prolonged period of neglect since the closure of the cemetery in the early C20, the (approximately) fifty tombstones, walls, gate and Ohel remain essentially intact and the cemetery survives as an important reminder of one of the smaller social minority groups within Bath society.

Listing NGR: ST7548962373

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
511749
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

Back
to top