Bollington War Memorial


Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1432274

Date first listed: 29-Feb-2016

Location Description:

Statutory Address: Memorial Gardens, Palmerston Street, Bollington, Macclesfield, Cheshire


Ordnance survey map of Bollington War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1432274 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 09:24:57.


Statutory Address: Memorial Gardens, Palmerston Street, Bollington, Macclesfield, Cheshire

Location Description:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bollington

National Grid Reference: SJ9347777897


First World War memorial with additions for the Second World War, erected in 1920, designer/sculptor unknown, constructed of local red and buff sandstone and taking the form of an elaborately carved Celtic wheel-head cross set on a tapering, rectangular plinth atop 5 steps.

Reasons for Designation

Bollington War Memorial, which stands within its own war memorial garden at a prominent road junction and takes the form of an elaborately carved Celtic wheel-head cross, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design quality: of the well-executed Celtic cross and the carvings of saints and intricate interlace patterns.


The memorial was unveiled on 28 November 1920. It was paid for by public subscription. The appeal for funds said, "This monument will be the first of its kind in Bollington and the Committee's object is to carry out a scheme which will be a credit to the district and a worthy and lasting tribute to those Bollington men whose lives were given for the honour and safety of their fellow-countrymen”. The initial design suggested at the outset of the appeal comprised a decorative obelisk flanked by two statues of military figures and surmounted by a winged Victory. This was displaced however by the realised design in local materials.

The memorial is shown in its current position on the Epoch a5 First Edition (National Grid) 1:2,500 map of 1968. In 2015 six new freestanding panels were dedicated adjacent to the memorial with 202 names including some amended spellings and 20 names not included on the original memorial.


First World War memorial additions for the Second World War,1920, designer/sculptor unknown.

MATERIALS: constructed of local red and buff sandstone

PLAN: Celtic cross set on tapering, rectangular plinth atop 5 steps.

DESCRIPTION: set within its own war memorial garden at a prominent road junction. The cross is of a tall wheel-head design with Celtic tracery covering the shaft. Figures of the patron saints of the home nations are carved on the cross arms, and the cross head is adorned with a carved tiled roof. Underneath the main inscription is a stone sculpture of a laurel wreath resting on the top step. The top two steps are of the same red sandstone as the cross, the lower three of buff sandstone. Due to the softness of the red sandstone and perhaps over-vigorous cleaning in the past, the stone is becoming worn. The inscription on the main facade of the plinth reads: THEY WHOM THIS MEMORIAL / COMMEMORATES WERE NUMBERED / AMONG THOSE WHO AT THE / CALL OF KING AND COUNTRY / LEFT ALL THAT WAS DEAR TO / THEM ENDURED HARDNESS FACED / DANGER AND FINALLY PASSED OUT / OF THE SIGHT OF MEN BY THE PATH / OF DUTY AND SELF SACRIFICE GIVING / UP THEIR OWN LIVES THAT OTHERS / MIGHT LIVE IN FREEDOM LET THOSE / WHO CAME AFTER SEE TO IT THAT / THEIR NAMES BE NOT FORGOTTEN.

Above this the chamfer at the top of the plinth is inscribed ‘1914 - 1919 + 1939 – 1945’. On the other three sides of the chamfer are inscribed the names of the fallen of the Second World War, the dates of which are added to the base of the cross above, on each of these three sides. Below these names each side, above the panels containing the names of the fallen of the First Word War, is inscribed with the dates of that conflict. The top face of the second step is inscribed: THIS MEMORIAL WAS UNVEILED AND DEDICATED / ON SUNDAY NOVEMBER 28TH 1920

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 26 January 2017.


local history website, accessed 10/12/15 from
PMSA website, accessed 10/12/15 from
War Memorials Online, accessed 26 January 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 11/12/15 from

End of official listing