Ebchester War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1436828
Date first listed:
29-Jul-2016
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Ebba, Shaw Lane, Ebchester, County Durham, DH8 0PJ

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1436828.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Jul-2020 at 12:57:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Ebba, Shaw Lane, Ebchester, County Durham, DH8 0PJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NZ1035755467

Summary

First World War memorial, 1922, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Ebchester War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the church of St Ebba, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a richly ornamented memorial cross; * Group value: with the church of St Ebba (Grade II*) and a number of listed structures in the churchyard.

History

Ebchester War Memorial was unveiled by Mr F Priestman JP on 17 January 1922, and dedicated by the Rector, Reverend TG Gibson. The memorial commemorates 9 local servicemen who died in the First World War. Reverend Gibson designed the memorial and it was sculpted by Mr HS Turner of Gateshead. The three names of those who fell in the Second World War were not added until 1996, when the memorial was re-dedicated.

Details

The sandstone memorial stands in the churchyard of the church of St Ebba (Grade II*). It takes the form of St Cuthbert’s cross. The cross head is highly ornamented and the front face of the top of the cross shaft is decorated with a carving of St George, mounted, slaying the dragon and encircled by a wreath. Below this the principal dedicatory inscription reads 1914-1918/ TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND TO THE/ HONOURED MEMORY/ OF THE FOLLOWING/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR GOD/ HOME AND COUNTRY. Underneath is a small carving of the St Cuthbert cross followed by “GREATER LOVE/ HATH NO MAN/ THAN THIS.”

Reverend Gibson’s coat of arms is carved in relief on the rear face of the cross shaft, presented on a Star of David and wreathed about with a motto. The cross shaft rises from a tapered plinth, square on plan, that stands on a low step. Names are recorded on the front face of the plinth with “THE SOULS OF THE RIGHTEOUS ARE IN THE HANDS OF GOD” carved into the front face of the step below. To the rear of the plinth is inscribed LEST WE FORGET and 1921 JOHN GEORGE GIBSON/ RECTOR FROM 1885. The three Second World War names are carved into one side of the plinth.



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 7 February 2017.

Sources

Websites
North East War Memorials Project, accessed 15/06/2016 from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=7154
War Memorials Online, accessed 7 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/247897
War Memorials Register, accessed 7 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/10257

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].