Wootton and District War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1437840
Date first listed:
20-Sep-2016
Statutory Address:
St Edmund's Churchyard, Church Road, Wootton, Isle of Wight, PO33

Map

Ordnance survey map of Wootton and District War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1437840.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2020 at 21:53:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
St Edmund's Churchyard, Church Road, Wootton, Isle of Wight, PO33

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wootton Bridge
National Grid Reference:
SZ5407892670

Summary

First World War memorial, designed by John H P Fulford, unveiled on 11 November 1935, with further names added after the Second World War and later conflicts.

Reasons for Designation

Wootton and District War Memorial, designed by John H P Fulford and unveiled on 11 November 1935, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a well-carved example of a memorial cross in Portland stone; * Group value: with the Church of St Edmund (Grade II*).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Wootton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Wootton and District War Memorial was designed by architect John H P Fulford and created by the mason Mr F Cooper of Newport. It was originally located by the south door of St Edmund’s Church, Wootton and was unveiled on Remembrance Day 1935 in memory of the 14 local servicemen who fell in the First World War. The unveiling was carried out by Brigadier-General P Leveson Gower and it was dedicated by the Rector G C Seymour. The memorial was re-located to its current location within the churchyard of the church in 1948 and at the same time, the names of the 17 fallen from the Second World War were added to the plinth. A single name from Northern Ireland was added after 1978.

The memorial was unveiled in its new location on Sunday 14 November 1948 by Major General the Lord Ruthven and was re-dedicated by the Bishop of Portsmouth.

In 2012 the memorial was conserved with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust.

Details

MATERIALS: Portland stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a wheel-head cross on top of a rectangular gabled plinth and a two-stepped base. The inscriptions are incised into the plinth and top step.

The inscription on the front face of the gabled plinth reads: THESE/ MEN OF/ WOOTTON AND/ DISTRICT GAVE/ THEIR LIVES IN THE/ SERVICE OF THEIR KING/ AND COUNTRY. 1914 - 1918/ (NAMES). The inscription on the top step immediately below this reads 'SEE TO IT YE WHO COME AFTER THAT/ THEIR NAMES BE NOT FORGOTTEN’.

On the rear face of the plinth is an additional dedication to the fallen of the Second World War which reads: AND OF THOSE WHO FELL IN/ 1939 - 1945/ (NAMES). Below this on the top step is inscribed: NORTHERN IRELAND/ (NAME).

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 7 December 2016.

Sources

Websites
Details of Wootton war memorial, accessed 12 July 2016 from www.isle-of-wight-memorials.org.uk/towns/woottonwm.htm
War Memorials Online, accessed 12 July 2016 from www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/node/102202
War Memorials Register, accessed 7 December 2016 from www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/21888
War Memorials Trust, accessed 12 July 2016 from www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=919

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].