Leasingthorne War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Eden Terrace, Leasingthorne, Bishop Auckland, County Durham, DL14 8EJ


Ordnance survey map of Leasingthorne War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1438874.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2020 at 16:12:18.


Statutory Address:
Eden Terrace, Leasingthorne, Bishop Auckland, County Durham, DL14 8EJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial, 1925, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Leasingthorne War Memorial, which stands opposite Eden Terrace, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an elegant obelisk in the Classical style.


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Leasingthorne as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Leasingthorne was the pit village serving Leasingthorne Colliery. The colliery was opened in 1836. The war memorial was unveiled on 12 September 1925 by Colonel E Vaux and dedicated by Reverend D Perrott. It cost circa £80 and commemorates 17 local servicemen who died during the First World War. Following the Second World War the names of six men who died in that conflict were added. The colliery closed in 1967 and much of the village, including many of the houses and the Primary School, has since been demolished.


The stone memorial stands opposite Eden Terrace in an area of open ground, previously in front of Leasingthorne Social Centre. It takes the form of an obelisk, square on plan, rising from the corniced top of a pedestal. The pedestal stands on a two-stepped base. The monument is surrounded by a square enclosure of railings carried on a low kerb.

The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the pedestal reads ERECTED/ IN UNDYING MEMORY/ OF THE MEN/ WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918./ “UNTIL THE DAY DAWN” with on the riser of the upper step below AND THE WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945. The commemorated names are listed on the remaining faces of the pedestal.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 7 February 2017.


Durham Mining Museum, accessed 18/08/2016 from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colliery/l005.htm
North East War Memorials Project, accessed 18/08/2016 from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=7903
War Memorials Online, accessed 7 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/207286
War Memorials Register, accessed 7 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/19030


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building(s) is/are shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].