New Leake, Eastville, and Midville War Memorial
List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: New Leake, Eastville, and Midville War Memorial
List entry Number: 1450521
War memorial garden c15m south-west of St Jude's Church, Spilsby Road, New Leake, Lincolnshire, PE22 8JX
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: East Lindsey
District Type: District Authority
Parish: New Leake
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 26-Oct-2017
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Building
First World War memorial granite cross, unveiled 1921.
Reasons for Designation
New Leake, Eastville and Midville War Memorial, which stands on the east side of Spilsby Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* As an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War.
* A simple yet poignant memorial cross in granite which, unusually, has not been adapted for Second World War commemoration and thus retains its original design intent.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised outside St Jude’s Mission Church as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local communities who lost their lives in the First World War. The memorial for the communities of New Leake, Eastville and Midville was unveiled on 30 October 1921. It was built for a cost of £250. A special service was held, after which the memorial was unveiled by two local ex-servicemen, Mr W Schofield and Mr W Parkinson.
The war memorial is located in a small area enclosed by posts carrying a spiked chain, with a small gate to the front, in a graveled garden to the south of St Jude’s Mission Church (not listed). It is a rough-hewn Latin cross of granite with an incised cross decorating the front face. The cross stands on a two-stage square plinth, standing on a two-stepped square base.
The inscription is in black incised lettering on the front face on the upper stage of the base, reading THIS CROSS WAS DEDICATED BY THE/ PARISHIONERS OF NEW LEAKE & EASTVILLE/ IN MEMORY OF THE MEN WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914-1918 with the commemorated names below on the lower stage. The 12 names, in three columns, are followed by GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS THAT A/ MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS.
Books and journals
Credland, M, The First World War Memorials of Lincolnshire, (2014), p138
War Memorials Online, accessed 19 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/230074/
National Grid Reference: TF4026657193
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1450521 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2018 at 05:46:54.
End of official listing