Stable at Kite Hill Farm


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Kite Hill Farm, Kite Hill, Wootton Bridge, Ryde, Isle of Wight, PO33 4LE


Ordnance survey map of Stable at Kite Hill Farm
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1456053 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 10:36:44.


Statutory Address:
Kite Hill Farm, Kite Hill, Wootton Bridge, Ryde, Isle of Wight, PO33 4LE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:


A former stable, C18 with some C20 refurbishing. The C20 cement block addition to the south-west is not included.

Reasons for Designation

The late-C18 stable at Kite Hill Farm is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: * a timber-framed threshing barn, clad with weatherboarding with a staggered purlin roof structure, that retains a significant proportion of original fabric.

Historic interest: * one of the components of an unusual survival of a farmstead comprising four late-C18 farm buildings and a farmhouse on the Isle of Wight.

Group value: * the stable has considerable group value with the cartshed, granary and barn, listed separately, and the former farmhouse, all listed at Grade II.


Kite Hill Farm originally belonged to the Fleming estate, a large landed estate in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight between 1599 and the 1950s. A building is shown in this location on the 1793-1794 Mudge unpublished Ordnance Survey drawings. A cluster of buildings in this position is shown on the published 1810 First Edition one-inch Ordnance Survey map.

The stable is part of a group of farm buildings at 'Kitehill' Farm, shown on the 1864 25'' Ordnance Survey map. Its footprint has not changed since, except that on the 1908 and 1948 versions other large extensive farm buildings are shown attached at the western end. These no longer survive.

The farm passed into private ownership in 1960 and the farmhouse, listed in 1950, was separately sold off in the later C20. The stable has evidence of later repair in the C20 including the replacement of the roof covering with corrugated metal and the addition of rear outshot constructed with cement block.


A former stable, C18 with some C20 refurbishing. The C20 cement block addition to the south-west is excluded from the listing.

MATERIALS: timber-framed, clad in weatherboarding on a plinth mainly of stone but with some brick on the north-east side. The half-hipped roof is clad in corrugated sheeting.

PLAN: a three-bay stable with a hayloft over.

EXTERIOR: the north-east side has a wide stable door and a narrower one, both with pintle hinges. There are two window openings with C20 windows. Part of the rear elevation is concealed by a later addition.

INTERIOR: the roof structure has staggered purlins, diagonal tension braces, queen posts and a ridge-piece. Much of the wall frame has been boarded to prevent damage from kicking horses, but where observed, elements of the floor frame, some studs and posts remain and a cobbled floor survives.


SMR number 12849-MW3715


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building(s) is/are shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building but not coloured blue on the map, are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act. However, any works to these structures which have the potential to affect the character of the listed building as a building of special architectural or historic interest may still require Listed Building Consent (LBC) and this is a matter for the Local Planning Authority (LPA) to determine.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].