Wistow War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1459097
Date first listed:
12-Sep-2018
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of All Saints Church, Church Hill, Wistow, Selby, YO8 3UU

Map

Ordnance survey map of Wistow War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1459097 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 14:57:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of All Saints Church, Church Hill, Wistow, Selby, YO8 3UU

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Selby (District Authority)
Parish:
Wistow
National Grid Reference:
SE5923235634

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Wistow War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of All Saints, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but elegant well-executed granite wheel-head cross.

Group value:

* with the Church of All Saints (Grade I).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Wistow as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

The first mention of the Wistow memorial cross in honour of the men of the parish who fell in the First World War was in a notice dated 1 July 1920 announcing its erection, to the Registry of the Consistory court of York. On 27 July 1920 a faculty granting permission for its installation was issued. The memorial cross was unveiled on 7 November 1920 by Mrs Greeves, widow of the late vicar in the presence of Reverend Canon Bateman and Reverend Vincent Johnson and the ceremony was attended by churches of all denominations in the village. The memorial was completed at a cost of £150 by public donation. The design is said to have been inspired by another similar memorial at Wadsworth and Studwick and Lomas of Selby are credited for sculpting it.

The names of those who died in the Second World War were subsequently added to the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

MATERIALS: granite.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located to the south in All Saints churchyard overlooking Church Hill and set within a rectangular area delineated by chamfered granite kerb stones. This measures 1.5m long and 0.8m wide and is filled with gravel.

The Celtic style wheel-head cross of grey granite with a tapering shaft surmounts a tapering plinth. The plinth is set on a two-stepped stone and concrete rectangular base. The memorial is approximately 3.3m in height. The southern faces of the shaft and base are smooth but the remaining faces of the memorial are rough-hewn.

The southern face of the shaft, the plinth and the base bear leaded lettering giving the dedication and names of the fallen. The main inscription on the shaft reads TO THE/ HONOUR OF/ THE MEN/ FROM WISTOW/ WHO FOUGHT/ FOR GOD, KING/ AND COUNTRY/ AND IN/ GRATEFUL/ MEMORY OF/ THOSE NAMED/ BELOW, WHO/ GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR US IN THE/ GREAT WARS. The southern side of the plinth bears eighteen names of the men who fell during the First World War, organised by year, along with abbreviations for the regiment to which they belonged.

Below this, leaded lettering on the base reads “THE MEMORY OF THEIR SACRIFICE IS DEAR TO US”/ 1939 – 1945/ followed by the nine names of those who fell in the Second World War organised in alphabetical order.

Sources

Websites
War Memorial Register, accessed 1 June 2018 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/30969
War Memorials Online, accessed June 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/200923/
Other
Borthwick Institute of Archives (1933), Parish records of Wistow. WIS 21|9a, WIS 21|9b and WIS 81-2

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].