Egmanton War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1462722
Date first listed:
07-Aug-2019
Statutory Address:
Our Lady of Egmanton, Main Street, Egmanton, Nottinghamshire, NG22 0HA

Map

Ordnance survey map of Egmanton War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1462722.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 01:15:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
Our Lady of Egmanton, Main Street, Egmanton, Nottinghamshire, NG22 0HA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Egmanton
National Grid Reference:
SK7361968919

Summary

First World War memorial in the churchyard of Our Lady of Egmanton, unveiled in 1920.

Reasons for Designation

The war memorial situated in the churchyard of Our Lady of Egmanton dating to 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but well-executed Latin cross memorial.

Group Value:

* with the Grade I listed Church of Our Lady of Egmanton.

History

The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until towards the end of the 19th century. Prior to then memorials were rare and were mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, which was the first major war following reforms to the British Army which led to regiments being recruited from local communities and with volunteer soldiers. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

The war memorial at Egmanton stands in the graveyard of the Church of St Mary, also known as Our Lady of Egmanton. The memorial was unveiled by Lieutenant Colonel John Markham Rose and dedicated on Saturday 20 March 1920. The monument is sited at the east end of the church and the inscription faces towards the road. The names of the four residents of the village killed in the First World War are commemorated on the memorial.

Details

First World War memorial in the churchyard of Our Lady of Egmanton, unveiled in 1920.

MATERIALS: the memorial is built of limestone.

PLAN: the memorial stands on a square base.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a plain cross with a sword of sacrifice applied in low relief. The memorial stands on a three stepped base and plinth. The inscription, which is applied on the cross, reads: TO/ THE/ GLORY/ OF GOD/ AND IN/ GRATEFUL/ MEMORY/ OF. The plinth below is inscribed with the Roll of Honour followed by: OF THIS PARISH WHO FELL/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-18. The steps below read: GRANT THEM O LORD ETERNAL REST/ AND LET PERPETUAL LIGHT SHINE UPON THEM.

Sources

Websites
Egamnton, Our Lady of Egmanton, War Memorial, accessed 25 January 2019 from http://southwellchurches.nottingham.ac.uk/egmanton/hwarmem.php
Egmanton - St Mary's Church, accessed 25 January 2019 from https://secure.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/RollOfHonour/WarMemorials/Details/48
Imperial War Museum - Egmanton, accessed 6 August 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27153
War Memorials Online - Egmanton, accessed 6 August 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/262459/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].