Men of Pembury War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1465121
Date first listed:
07-Aug-2019
Location Description:
Hastings Road, Pembury, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN2 4PA

Approximately 20 metres east of Chalket Lane, on the southern side of Hastings Road.
Statutory Address:
Hastings Road, Near junction with Chalket Lane, Pembury, Kent, TN2 4PD

Map

Ordnance survey map of Men of Pembury War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1465121 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 19:44:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
Hastings Road, Near junction with Chalket Lane, Pembury, Kent, TN2 4PD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Hastings Road, Pembury, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN2 4PA

Approximately 20 metres east of Chalket Lane, on the southern side of Hastings Road.
County:
Kent
District:
Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)
Parish:
Pembury
National Grid Reference:
TQ6258140712

Summary

War Memorial formed of limestone. It consists of a large square platform with four steps and a plinth surmounted by a cenotaph in the form of a pylon with a gabled cornice and Celtic wheel cross.

Reasons for Designation

The Men of Pembury War Memorial which stands adjacent to the main road through Pembury and near to the village green and church, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an elegantly-proportioned memorial.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. The war memorial to the men of Pembury was erected near to the village green and church. It was unveiled and dedicated on 25 September 1921 by Reverend H Sinclair Brooke. The memorial was designed by architect Ashley S Kilby Esq.

It commemorates 49 local servicemen who died during the First World War. In 1949 a dedication was added to commemorate the 18 local servicemen who died during the Second World War.

In 2014 a grey granite plaque was placed in front of the memorial in relation to the centenary of the First World War. It has an engraved wreath and poppies at the centre and reads on the left hand side HONOURING/ THE MEN OF/ PEMBURY and on the right 1914 – 1918/ WITH PRIDE/ 2014.

The present two limestone plaques on the north front, facing the road, are replacements which were unveiled on 11 November 2018 with eight spelling corrections. The original brass plaques are to be installed outside Pembury School.

Details

A limestone cenotaph, unveiled in 1921 and altered in 1949, located on Hastings Road, Pembury, situated close to the village green and Church of St Peter (Grade II*). The plinth is edged by low hedging and soft planting.

MATERIALS & PLAN: the monument is formed of limestone, and consists of a large square platform approached by four steps on its northern side. The central plinth is surmounted by a cenotaph in the form of a pylon. The top of this is punctuated by a gabled cornice detail on the northern side, with the cornice running around the pylon. A Celtic wheel cross, carved in relief, sits underneath the gabled cornice.

The top of the pylon bears the inscription '1914 - 1919' in inset lead lettering. The raised panel has the inscription 'DUTY HONOUR SELF-SACRIFICE' under which is a stone plaque commemorating those who fell in the First World War. Under this is inscribed '1939 - 1945', and below this is a second stone plaque commemorating those who fell in the Second World War. The sides and rear of the monument are bare.

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum - Pembury - WW1 and WW2 , accessed 13 June 2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/1537
War Memorials Online - Men of Pembury , accessed 13 June 2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/120993
Other
‘Notes on News’, Kent and Sussex Courier, (30 September 1921), 7

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].