Irthington war memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1467588
Date first listed:
02-Dec-2019
Statutory Address:
St Kentigern Churchyard, Church Close, Irthington, Cumbria, CA6 4PB

Map

Ordnance survey map of Irthington war memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1467588.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Mar-2020 at 12:05:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
St Kentigern Churchyard, Church Close, Irthington, Cumbria, CA6 4PB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Irthington
National Grid Reference:
NY4984861642

Summary

First World War memorial, 1922, with Second World War additions.

Reasons for Designation

Irthington War Memorial, erected 1922, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* by Messrs Beattie and Co of Carlisle, it is a simple yet poignant memorial in the form of a wheel head cross with Celtic knot work carving, executed in good quality grey granite.

Group value:

* it benefits from group value with the Grade II-listed Church of St Kentigern, in whose churchyard it is located.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Irthington as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by nine members of the local community, who lost their lives in the First World War.

The war memorial is situated within the churchyard of the Grade II-listed Church of St Kentigern, and was made by prolific stone masons and sculptors Messrs Beattie and Co of Carlisle. It was unveiled on 24 September 1922 by ex-servicemen Mr H Herbert of West Knowe and Mr Robert Irving of Newtown and dedicated by the Bishop of Carlisle. Two additional fallen of the Second World War were added after that conflict.

Details

First World War memorial, 1922, with Second World War additions.

MATERIALS: grey granite; lead lettering

DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is situated within the churchyard of the Church of St Kentigern, prominently situated in the corner of the churchyard at a road junction. It takes the form of a wheel head cross with knot work carving and the date 1914-18 carved in relief to the cross head and upper part of a tapering shaft that surmounts a plinth with a single-stepped base. The lower shaft and the plinth bear the inscription in leaded lettering and reads: 1914 - 18// (NAMES)// IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN/ FROM THIS PARISH WHO DIED FOR THEIR/ COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR, THIS CROSS/ WAS ERECTED BY THE PARISHIONERS// ALSO/ IN MEMORY OF/ THOSE FROM THIS PARISH/ WHO DIED DURING/ THE 1939-1945 WAR/ (NAMES).

Sources

Websites
Imperial War Museum Inventory, accessed 25-10-2019 from https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4305
War Memorials Trust Inventory, accessed 25-10-2019 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/173853/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].