Haughley War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
St Mary the Virgin's Churchyard, Duke Street, Haughley, Suffolk, IP14 3QS


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1469249.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 22:09:55.


Statutory Address:
St Mary the Virgin's Churchyard, Duke Street, Haughley, Suffolk, IP14 3QS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial, 1920, with later addition for the Second World War. Restored mid-C20.

Reasons for Designation

Haughley War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as an elaborately-carved design with well-carved figurative sculpture.

Group value: * with the Church of St Mary the Virgin (Grade I).


The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

One such memorial was raised at Haughley as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the 31 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was designed by J Crowe of Lincoln’s Inn and was made by Benfield and Loxley of Oxford. It was unveiled on 9 March 1920 by Brigadier-General Massy Lloyd CBE.

The memorial was damaged in a gale in 1947 and was replaced by plain cross, however, in 1995 it was restored and the names of the fallen were re-carved, though without listing their regiments. The names of the 10 parishioners who died during the Second World War were also added.


First World War memorial, 1920, with later addition for the Second World War. Restored mid-C20.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands prominently in the churchyard of the Church of St Mary the Virgin (Grade I). It is carved from Clipsham stone. It consists of a Calvary cross flanked by carved mourning figures, most probably of the Virgin Mary and the disciple, John, set upon base spurs on the shaft. This is set upon a two-stepped octagonal plinth and a single-stepped octagonal base. The main dedicatory inscription on the upper part of the plinth reads: THEIR NAME/ LIVETH FOR/ EVERMORE (south-west face), and on the section beneath is inscribed: 1914–1918/ (NAMES) and 1939–1945/ (NAMES)

The side and rear faces of the octagonal plinth are decorated with relief-carved heraldic shields.


Find A Grave, St Mary the Virgin’s Church, accessed 4 February 2020 from https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2496767/st.-mary-the-virgin%27s-church
Haughley War Memorial, accessed 4 February 2020 from http://branches.britishlegion.org.uk/media/4851144/haughley-war-memorial.pdf
War Memorials Online, Haughley War Memorial, accessed 4 February 2020 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/175592/
War Memorials Register, Haughley-Cross, accessed 4 February 2020 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4764


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].