Bedford and Essex Almshouses, Church Street, Watford, Hertfordshire

Bedford and Essex Almshouses, Church Street, Watford, Hertfordshire
Photograph taken 05 July 2004 © Mrs Jane Black. Source Historic England Archive ref: 158141

In 1580 Francis Earl of Bedford and the Lady Bridget his wife founded this row of 8 almshouses. They were for eight poor women to be chosen from this parish, and from Langley and Chenies in the county of Bucks. The Earl of Essex also paid an annual sum towards their upkeep.

Location

Hertfordshire Watford

Period

Tudor (1485 - 1602)

Tags

almshouse charity philanthropy Tudor (1485 - 1602)