Burial Urn from Wall Roman Site, Wall, Staffordshire
The Roman town at Wall was known as Letocetum in Roman times. The town lay on the Roman Road of Watling Street, the Roman military road to North Wales and became a key staging post. Visitors (usually imperial postal couriers) changed their horses and stayed overnight in the guest house (mansio), making use of the bath house. The surviving remains of the bath house and guest house are visible today. A Roman cremation cemetery of 1st to 2nd century date was excavated in 1923 and 1965 to the west of Wall (Letocetum). A number of burial urns were found including one intact urn of greyish clay containing bones, charcoal, coffin and sandal nails. The property is in the care of English Heritage (2011).