Cathedral Church, College Gate, Rochester, Medway
The Cathedral Church of Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary of Rochester has its origins in the 7th century. It was re- established as a cathedral-priory by Bishop Gandulf and rebuilt by him around 1078-1108. Building and rebuilding continued until the surrender of the monastery in 1540. In the following year, the cathedral was placed in the hands of a new secular body named the "Dean and Chapter of the Cathedral Church of Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary of Rochester", but all the monastic buildings were reserved to the king. It was subject to major restoration work in the 19th century.