Chapel of Our Lady of the Mount, The Walks, Kings Lynn, Norfolk
This chapel is built on part of the embankment of the River Ouse. It was built in 1483-5 by Robert Curraunt. The top storey was added in 1505-6 by Simon Clerk and John Wastell. The chapel is recorded as having been a place of pilgrimage on the Walsingham pilgrimage route. It has been suggested that the basement was intended as a copy of the Holy Sepulchre. The pilgrims would enter and exit by the tunnel and the narrow stair was only intended for use by the priests. The pilgrims would then climb to one of the external doors to gain access to the sanctuary, and leave by the other stair. This layout is followed by several other pilgrimage sites.