Crossness Pumping Station, Bexley, Greater London
Interior view showing the decorative ironwork by J Watt and Co in the Engine House at Crossness Pumping Station. Crossness Pumping Station was constructed in the 1860s to pump and release the sewage from the three intercepting sewers south of the Thames: the High and Low Level Sewers and the Effra Branch. The sewage was pumped into a reservoir at Crossness. It was released into the Thames at high tide. The complex was originally called the Southern Outfall Works. It was officially opened on 4th April 1865.