Hexham Abbey, Hexham, Northumberland
A view along Beaumont Street showing Hexham Abbey from the south. The site was originally a monastic church built in 674 AD by St Wilfrid. From 678 to 821 AD it was a cathedral, however in 875 it was destroyed by the Vikings. It was refounded as a Priory in 1113 for Augustinian canons and dissolved in 1537. The church is still in use and the gatehouse and chapterhouse are incorporated in later buildings.