Mortlake Brewery, Richmond upon Thames, Greater London
A view of Mortlake Brewery with the chimney stack and stables in the foreground. By the mid 19th century Mortlake Brewery had passed through several hands, when in 1852 it was aquired by a partnership of John Philips and James Wigan. They continued to expand the business until the brewery was the largest employer of labour in the district. Watney's took over the brewery in 1898 when the firm became known as Watney, Combe, Reid and Co.