Mortuary, Saltburn Road, Old Saltburn, Redcar and Cleveland

Mortuary, Saltburn Road, Old Saltburn, Redcar and Cleveland
Photograph taken 16 September 2007 © Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive ref: 475543

This small mortuary was built in 1881 to house bodies which were frequently washed up on the beach. It was once part of a group of buildings including a lifeboat house and rocket house. The other 2 buildings were demolished when improvements were made to the road.

Location

Redcar and Cleveland Saltburn

Period

Victorian (1837 - 1901)

Tags

death mortuary coast sea Victorian (1837 - 1901)