The George Inn, Bermondsey, Greater London
The George Inn stands behind Borough High Street. It was built after the Southwark fire of 1676. The original inn dated back at least to the 16th century. The George was a coaching inn and part of it was used as offices for the Great Eastern Railway Company. The railway eventually bought the entire site from Guy's Hospital. A large part of the inn was pulled down by the railway company in 1874. In 1937 it was given to its present owner, the National Trust. It still retains part of its gallery. In medieval times inns were used as theatres by groups of travelling players. Early theatre design was based on this tradition.