This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SJ3297NW GREAT GEORGE'S ROAD 778-1/9/44 (North West side) 26/03/73 Town Hall
Town hall. 1862, by FS Spencer Yates (surveyor); enlarged to rear in 1893. Coursed sandstone rubble with freestone dressings, hipped slate roof. Italianate style. Square plan with wing to right and extension to rear. 2 storeys and 3 windows, symmetrical; with a plinth, triglyph frieze to ground floor, panelled frieze to 2nd floor with prominent dentilled cornice. The ground floor has a large central porch with Tuscan columns distyle-in-antis, frieze and cornice carried round, here with balustraded parapet, protecting a round-headed doorway; flanked by 4-pane sashed windows which have moulded architraves with panelled aprons and sills on consoles. The 1st floor has windows with pedimented architraves, that in the centre with stained glass and a segmental pediment on consoles and the others with altered glazing and triangular pediments on consoles. Flat-roofed single-storey wing to right. INTERIOR: not inspected. Forms group with former Christ Church School (qv) opposite.
Listing NGR: SJ3206397774
Copyright IoE Mr Mike Pollitt. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Pollitt, Mike
Rights Holder: Pollitt, Mike
Freestone, Rubble, Sandstone, Slate, Victorian Town Hall, Civil, Meeting Hall, Public Building