Church of St Mary, Castle Road, Runcorn - Halton (UA)

Parish church dated 1851 by Sir GG Scott. Constructed in local soft red sandstone with slate roof. Four-bay nave with side aisles and lowered chancel. Porched entrances to the north east vestry and south aisle. The sandstone is soft and has been heavily eroded, resulting in the loss of detail in places, especially the window hood moulds with their loss of weather protection. The church has been a victim of heritage crime. The abutment detail of the aisle roofs below the clerestory windows has failed and water ingress is evident.

Church of St Mary, Castle Road, Runcorn - Halton (UA)
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST MARY
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II
    List Entry Number:
    1330344
    Local Planning Authority:
    Halton (UA)
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St Mary
    Street Name:
    Castle Road
    Locality:
    Runcorn
    Unitary Authority:
    Halton (UA)
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Halton
    Region:
    North West

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
    Previous Priority:
    C
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II, CA