Morley Ponds moated site, Ware
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1012332 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2019 at 05:03:39.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 38725 15387
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Morley Ponds is a well-preserved example of a Hertfordshire moated site. The site has been largely unaffected by later land use and as such has high potential for the preservation of both wet and dry archaeological remains.
The monument includes the remains of a Medieval moated enclosure, ovoid in
shape, measuring some 95m north-south by 70m east-west in maximum external
dimensions. The waterfilled moat varies in width between 4m and 25m at the
north and south arms respectively. Entry to the moated island is provided by
the remains of a modern footbridge at the south-east angle. The moated island
is flat with no surface indication for the location of buildings or other
structural features. Two ponds to the north of the enclosure, and outside of
the scheduled area, are possibly the remains of fishponds associated with the
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Ordnance Survey Record F1, A.P.S., Ordnance Survey Record F1, (1971)
Private photos (1950's), (1950)
Title: Tithe Map (1845) Source Date: 1845 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing