This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Civil War redoubt on Crankley Point

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Civil War redoubt on Crankley Point

List entry Number: 1016050

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

District Type: District Authority

Parish: South Muskham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 01-Jan-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 08-May-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 30206

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

The battles and sieges of the English Civil War (1642-52) between King and Parliament were the last major active military campaigns to be undertaken on English soil and have left their mark on the English landscape in a variety of ways. Fieldworks are earthworks which were raised during the military campaigns to provide temporary protection for infantry or to act as gun emplacements. The earthworks, which may have been reinforced with revetting and palisades, consisted of banks and ditches and varied in complexity from simple breastworks to complex systems of banks and interconnecting trenches. They can be recognised today as surviving earthworks or as crop or soil marks on aerial photographs. They are recorded widely throughout England, with concentrations in the main areas of campaigning, and have been recognised to be unique in representing the only evidence on the ground of military campaigns fought in England since the introduction of guns. Newark was a key garrison held by the Royalists from the outbreak of the Civil War in 1642 until it surrendered on the orders of the King in 1646. The town was surrounded by a series of offensive and defensive fieldworks, many of which survive to the present day. They are the most impressive surviving collection of such works in England; not only do extensive remains survive, but the whole system is recorded on two nearly contemporary plans, one by a Royalist engineer, the other by a Parliamentarian. They thus provide a unique opportunity for the study of the field engineering of the Civil War. All surviving examples of the Newark siegeworks are identified to be nationally important.

The remains of the redoubt on Crankley Point survive particularly well as a series of substantial earthworks and will retain significant archaeological potential in the form of buried deposits. As a result of both the survival of historical documentation and subsequent archaeological survey, the remains will contribute particularly to understanding of the final siege of Newark.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the remains of a Civil War redoubt constructed by the Parliamentarian forces besieging Newark in 1645-1646.

The remains include earthworks defining a square enclosure c.20m across which is comprised of ramparts up to 0.5m high. An external ditch approximately 0.35m in depth surrounds the ramparts. A slight break in the northern ramparts and ditch approximately 1.5m in width may represent the original entrance.

The monument is one of several redoubts constructed by the Scots who comprised part of the besieging Parliamentarian forces during the third and final siege of Newark between November 1645 and May 1646. A contemporary plan recording the fieldworks of the Parliamentarians clearly depicts the monument and attributes it to the Scots. Another contemporary plan of Royalist origins describes the redoubt as `works to secure the bridge'. Contemporary maps show a bridge which was constructed by the Parliamentarians from the Winthorpe side of the Trent to Crankley Point in order to enable reinforcements to reach the island. This is further corroborated by an account of the final siege which also dates the completion of the bridge and therefore possibly the redoubt to March 1646.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 5 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
The Seige of Newark by the English and Scotch Armies, (1646)
Clampe, R, A Description of the Seidge of Newarke upon Trent, (1646)
RCHME, , Newark on Trent - The Civil War Siegeworks, (1964)
'Journal of the House of Lords' in Journal of the House of Lords, (1646)
Other
Staniforth, J. (landowner), (1997)

National Grid Reference: SK 80035 56047

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016050 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 01:29:22.

End of official listing