This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MANOR HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1046307

Location

MANOR HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Duns Tew

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 243983

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP4528 DUNS TEW 9/256 Manor House 08/12/55 GV II Manor house. Circa 1710 probably for Robert Dashwood, altered and extended C19. Coursed squared limestone with ashlar dressings, coursed squared marlstone and brick; Stonesfield-slate and Welsh-slate roofs with ashlar and rendered stacks. Complex plan of several builds. Main range is a symmetrical 5-window block, of 2 storeys plus attic, and has rusticated quoins, storeyband and a moulded wooden cornice below a hipped roof; 12-pane sashes at first floor have moulded stone architraves with projecting keyblocks, but similar ground-floor openings have all been lowered to take French windows, the central opening (probably originally the main entrance) having a more elaborate architrave. Roof has 3 hipped roof dormers with 2-light casements, and has similar dormers in the ends. A 4-window late-C19 range to right, of one storey plus attic, has similar ground-floor openings with full-height sashes, but the upper sashes rise into segmental pediments broken by tall keyblocks. 3-window rear wing, returning from left, is in stone-mullioned style of c.1850, and includes the 4-centre-arched main entrance. Rear of house is part marlstone and part brick, attached service ranges including an octagonal brick dairy. Interior: open-well cantilevered stair of c.1850; C19 joinery, fireplaces and plasterwork; 2 stone bolection-mould fireplaces of c.1700 (probably re-used) in rear wing. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp590-1; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p213)

Listing NGR: SP4559528337

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 590-1
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 213

National Grid Reference: SP 45695 28490

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1046307 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2018 at 05:14:17.

End of official listing