BROOK FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1112137

Date first listed: 30-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: BROOK FARMHOUSE, STONES GREEN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BROOK FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1112137 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 17:15:52.

Location

Statutory Address: BROOK FARMHOUSE, STONES GREEN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Great Oakley

National Grid Reference: TM 18616 27105

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT OAKLEY STONES GREEN ROAD TM 1827-1927 (north side) 7/39 Brook Farmhouse

- II

House. C16, extended in early C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 2 bays facing E, with internal stack in rear part of right bay, and 2-bay crosswing to right. 3-bay rear wing behind stack, forming a T-plan. Early CL9 brick extension with slate roof in rear right angle, and C20 lean-to conservatory to rear. Large C20 extension to right. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 4 C20 casements. First floor, one C20 casement, and 2 more in gabled dormers. 6-panel door in fluted doorcase with canopy on scrolled brackets, 1985. Pentice board on gable. Roof half-hipped at left end. The main range has chamfered transverse and axial beams with lamb's tongue and notch stops, edge-halved and bridled scarfs in the wallplates, and a framed newel stair with at the top a moulded handrail and serpentine splat balusters, c.1600. The wood-burning hearth facing to left is much rebuilt; the wood-burning hearth facing to right is reduced in width, but still wide; the mantel beam is chamfered with a similar stop at one end. The crosswing has an axial beam with C20 chamfers; plain joists of square section are jointed to it on one side with soffit tenons with diminished haunches, on the other side with unrefined soffit tenons. The first-floor room of the crosswing has a chamfered tiebeam with lamb's tongue stops, and is fully lined with pine panelling, late C17/early C18. Against the attic stair is a small area of guilloche combed plaster. The rear wing has a chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue and notch stops, and a face-halved and bladed scarf in one wallplate. Simple edge-halved scarfs opposite each other in both wallplates indicate that it has been extended to the rear. A panel of stick wattle and daub is exposed behind glass. All the roofs are of clasped purlin construction. The newel stair may have been built against the stack originally, forming a lobby-entrance. The rear wing, with bladed scarfs, was constructed c.1600, and later extended. RCHM 11.

Listing NGR: TM1861627105

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 120281

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing