K6 telephone kiosk, Malham

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1474619
Date first listed:
20-Apr-2021
Statutory Address:
K6 Telephone Kiosk, Cove Road, Malham, North Yorkshire

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1474619.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-May-2021 at 15:54:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
K6 Telephone Kiosk, Cove Road, Malham, North Yorkshire

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Craven (District Authority)
Parish:
Malham
National Park:
YORKSHIRE DALES
National Grid Reference:
SD9007762867

Summary

K6 telephone kiosk, designed in 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott.

Reasons for Designation

The K6 telephone kiosk in Malham is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest: * as an iconic example of industrial design, showing Sir Giles Gilbert Scott's adaption of neoclassical forms for a modern technological function.

Historic interest: * the K6 telephone kiosk was designed to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of King George V in 1935 by the eminent architect Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, further developing his successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924.

Group value: * for its contribution to the streetscape and its strong visual relationship with the three Grade II-listed houses forming The Row and having a particular contextual relationship with the Old Post House and with the listed former village Post Office.

History

The K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design. The K6 was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of neoclassical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost-effective to mass produce. Sir Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most important of modern British architects; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea Power Station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with far plainer kiosk types but remaining examples of the K6 continue to be an iconic feature on Britain's streetscapes.

Details

K6 telephone kiosk, designed in 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott.

The K6 is a standardised design made of cast-iron, painted red overall with long horizontal glazing in the doors and sides and with the crowns situated on the top panels being applied not perforated. There are rectangular white display signs, reading TELEPHONE beneath the shallow curved roof. It has modernised internal equipment.

This example is situated on the eastern side of Cove Road, at the centre of the village of Malham. It stands in front of The Row, a listed terrace of five former cottages, now three houses (List entry 1132362), approximately 16m to the west, one of which was the original village Post Office and is still known as the Old Post House. The telephone kiosk has a strong visual relationship with these three listed buildings collectively and it has a contextual relationship with the former post office. Additionally, it has a contextual relationship with a later former Post Office (List entry 1301366), approximately 28m to the south.

Sources

Websites
Kiosk No 6 -The Phone Box, accessed 11 February 2021 from http://www.the-telephone-box.co.uk/kiosks/k6/

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]storicEngland.org.uk.