Church of St James, St James' Place - Liverpool

Nave and west tower built between 1774-5. Notable for its early use of cast iron columns. Transferred from the Churches Conservation Trust to a newly established parish which is actively working to secure the repair and re-use of the church. Major roof repairs, supported by a Historic England grant, are complete. Discussions are ongoing regarding proposals to adapt the building to provide facilities for both the congregation and the community.

Church of St James, St James' Place - Liverpool
© Historic England

Site Details

    Designated Site Name:
    CHURCH OF ST JAMES
    Heritage Category:
    Listed Building grade II*
    List Entry Number:
    1209882
    Local Planning Authority:
    Liverpool
    Site Type:
    Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

    Building Name:
    Church of St James
    Street Name:
    St James's Place
    Locality:
    Liverpool
    County:
    Merseyside
    District / Borough:
    Liverpool
    Parliamentary Constituency:
    Liverpool, Riverside
    Region:
    North West

Assessment Information

    Assessment Type:
    Place of worship
    Condition:
    Poor
    Priority:
    F - Repair scheme in progress and (where applicable) end use or user identified; or functionally redundant buildings with new use agreed but not yet implemented.
    Previous Priority:
    F
    Ownership:
    Religious organisation
    Designation:
    Listed Place of Worship grade II*, CA