Church of St Mary, Bowers Street, Newton, Hyde - Tameside

Commissioners' church of 1840 in an Italian Romanesque style by Manchester architects Hayley and Brown, with chancel of 1877 by Taylor. Coursed dressed buff sandstone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. The west wall has a shallow central tower with a three window arcade to the balcony level, a circular bell louvre and twin turrets surmounted by canopies with pyramid roofs. Internally the worship area has galleries to three sides. The roof has clear water ingress problems associated with the original slate roof and nail fatigue.

Church of St Mary, Bowers Street, Newton, Hyde - Tameside
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY (C OF E)
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II
  • List Entry Number: 1162405
  • Local Planning Authority: Tameside
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St Mary
  • Street Name: Bowers Street
  • Locality: Newton, Hyde
  • County: Greater Manchester
  • District / Borough: Tameside
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Stalybridge and Hyde
  • Region: North West

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II

Contact Details

Peter Barlow 0161 242 1428

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England