Church of St Mary the Virgin, Lewisham High Street, Lewisham SE13 - Lewisham

This unusual Georgian church, raised over a crypt, was completed in 1774 by George Gibson Jr; it replaced a medieval church and incorporated the original tower. The nave was re-modelled and the chancel added in 1882 by William Blomfield. The chancel was re-ordered in 1995-96. The nave re-roofing and drainage project was completed in 2016 with a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. The congregation is actively exploring options for funding for a second phase of roofing repairs to the tower and chancel.

Church of St Mary the Virgin, Lewisham High Street, Lewisham SE13 - Lewisham
© Historic England

Site Details

  • Designated Site Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
  • Heritage Category: Listed Building grade II*
  • List Entry Number: 1193297
  • Local Planning Authority: Lewisham
  • Site Type: Religious ritual and funerary > Church

Location

  • Building Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
  • Street Name: Lewisham High Street
  • Postcode: SE13
  • Locality: Lewisham
  • County: Greater London
  • District / Borough: Lewisham
  • Parliamentary Constituency: Lewisham, Deptford
  • Region: London

Assessment Information

  • Assessment Type: Place of worship
  • Condition: Poor
  • Priority: C - Slow decay; no solution agreed
  • Previous Priority: C
  • Ownership: Religious organisation
  • Designation: Listed Place of Worship grade II*, CA

Contact Details

Ian Harper 020 7973 3786

Next steps

Read more about this historic site on the National Heritage List for England