Obelisk In Park North Of Barwick House / The Fish Tower

Date:
27 Aug 1999
Location:
Obelisk In Park North Of Barwick House, Barwick, South Somerset, Somerset
Show all locations
The Fish Tower, Two Tower Lane, Barwick, South Somerset, Somerset
Reference:
IOE01/00106/23
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Request a copy
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

ST51SE BARWICK CP TWO TOWER LANE (South side)

5/18 The Fish Tower (previously listed as obelisk in Park North of Barwick House) 19.4.61

GV II

Folly. Circa 1775. Local stone rubble with Ham stone ashlar at top. Base about 2 metres square and 2 metres high, with arched opening on North side; above a hollow circular column about 12 metres high with open slits up the South side and an ashlar crown with ogee arched panels, the whole reminisicent of a factory chimney. The North boundary marker, one of four of the Barwick Park estate, probably erected by John Newman. (Barbara Jones, Follies and Grottoes, Constable 1974)

Listing NGR: ST5606914850

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Haigh_Brian IOE Records for Haigh, Brian; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Brian Haigh. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Haigh, Brian

Rights Holder: Haigh, Brian

Keywords

Ashlar, Ham Hill Stone, Rubble, Stone, Georgian Folly, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Building