Church Of St Bartholomew

Date:
12 Sep 1999
Location:
Church Of St Bartholomew, Churchdown Hill, Churchdown, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire
Reference:
IOE01/00440/18
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

CHURCHDOWN CHURCHDOWN HILL SO 8819/8919 12/14 Church of St Bartholomew 10.1.55 GV I Parish church. C12, C13, C15 or C16, 1601 tower, C17, restored mid C19, 1880's by Ewan Christian. Stone approaching ashlar to tower and south chancel, otherwise coursed, squared stone; stone slate roof. Nave, western tower, south aisle, north porch, chancel.

South facade: tower, plinth, octagonal turret on right, 2 slits, string course, slit, 2-light louvred window, string course, crenellated parapet with corner finials. Gable of south aisle on right, 3-light window, rounded trefoil heads, with almost 3-centred arch over: plain stone chute for valley gutter. South side, south aisle: angled corner buttresses, plinth, with eight C17 and C18 headstones set against it on left. Above, 2-light Perpendicular window; double-boarded door in moulded arch, buttress; to right sides and ends of 2 chest tombs built into wall, John and Edward Cummins, died 1706 and 1714: leaf and scroll carving, carved figures in half relief with momenti mori. Above, 3-light window with trefoil heads under transom just above springing of main arch, 2-light tracery above. Parapet gables with cross-gablet apices.

Right return plain, some brick repairs, late C20 monument. Plinth to south chancel wall, 3-light window, flat head, double cusping to top of lights: 1880 on rainwater head. Parapet gable, stone cross on cross-gablet apex. Plinth to east wall, 3-light Perpendicular window over. North wall, plain to chancel, with plinth. Parapet gable to nave, cross on cross-gablet apex: square-set corner buttress. Plinth; with blue bricks under: 3- light Perpendicular window. Gabled, 2-storey north porch, rising above nave, splayed infill to angles each side. Two slits on left return, with corbelled base to probably former chimney. Arched doorway in gable, moulded surround, wrought-iron gates: inside boarded door in moulded surround, ribbed quadripartite vault on corner colonnettes, moulded capitals, scalloped bases. Parapet gable with cross-gablet apex with cross over. To right, nave set back, 3 reset C12 stones with chevron carving; diamond-shaped monument: square-set buttress. Tower, plinth, string course, then as south side. West face as north, but with 4-light king-mullion window in lower stage, 4-centred arch.

Interior: south aisle, lower part of walls rendered. Segmental arch to door of reset chevron-moulded voussoirs. Four bay nave arcade, circular columns, moulded capitals and bases, plastered ceiling on line of braces to collar-rafter roof, 4 tie beams, 2 with crown or king posts. Nave stone paved, walls plastered, moulded oversailing eaves course above aisle arcade; wide, C19 chancel arch, plain capitals; wide, semi-circular arch to tower, datestone adjoining on north. Door from single board to stair to porch, in steeply-arched, moulded surround. Stoup by north door, window to porch room over. Cambered, plastered ceiling, with 5 king-post trusses. Minton-tile floor to east end chancel: piscina with cinquefoil head under pointed arch, sunk spandrels, moved from south aisle. Half a shallow stone bowl built into north wall.

Collar rafter roof with straight braces, 1880's. Octagonal pulpit and sounding board, 1631: corner colonnettes and panelled and moulded sides, reading ledge on scrolled brackets. Panelled back with strapwork, arched top, downturned strapwork edge to sounding board with central pendant under. Octagonal, lead-lined font, swept stem with blind, trefoil-headed arches; foliated ogee arches to sides of bowl. A few C17 pews survive, with more reused ends.

C17, C18 wall monuments in tower base, three C19 in south aisle, 1743 marble wall monument to Sir Robert Austen in chancel, gadrooning, fluted Doric pilasters, segmental top with coat of arms over. Gallery removed 1854.

(W.T. Swift, History of Churchdown, 1905; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970)

Listing NGR: SO8823619106

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0469 IOE Records taken by Keith Cooper; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Keith Cooper. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cooper, Keith

Rights Holder: Cooper, Keith

Keywords

Ashlar, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Chest Tomb, Tomb, Funerary Site