Fore Hill round barrow

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1002266

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1966

Map

Ordnance survey map of Fore Hill round barrow
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002266 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 19:27:41.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes (District Authority)

Parish: Beddingham

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes (District Authority)

Parish: South Heighton

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

National Grid Reference: TQ4611504246

Summary

Bowl barrow on Fore Hill, 815m north-east of Page’s New Barn.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period.

Despite part-levelling by cultivation, the bowl barrow on Fore Hill, 815m north-east of Page’s New Barn survives as a buried feature and has the potential for the retention of archaeological information and environmental evidence relating to the barrow and the landscape in which it was constructed.

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 2 March 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

The monument includes a bowl barrow surviving as a buried archaeological feature on a ridge of chalk downland, near the summit of Fore Hill in the South Downs. It is 98m NNW of a dew pond. In 1953, it comprised of a broadly circular mound, about 9m in diameter and 0.4m high.

It has since been partly levelled by cultivation but is likely to survive as a buried feature. Prehistoric flint flakes have been found on the mound. The bowl barrow is shown on Sussex OS maps (1:2500) of 1875, 1899, 1910 and 1930.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: ES 269

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

Sources

Other
NMR TQ40SE4. PastScape 406056.

End of official listing