PERRANWELL STATION METHODIST CHURCH INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1141599

Date first listed: 12-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: PERRANWELL STATION METHODIST CHURCH INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of PERRANWELL STATION METHODIST CHURCH INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141599 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 03:29:00.

Location

Statutory Address: PERRANWELL STATION METHODIST CHURCH INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Perranarworthal

National Grid Reference: SW 77623 39465

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 73 NE PERRANARWORTHAL PERRANWELL STATION

3/360 Perranwell Station Methodist Church including boundary walls

GV II

Methodist chapel and boundary walls. 1878. By flicks of Redruth. Killas rubble, dressed elvan, granite and Bath stone; walling brought to course at entrance front. Steep Delabole dry slate roofs with gable ends; vestry roof at lower pitch with brick chimney at rear (south east) gable end. Large rectangular aisless plan with stair and entrance hall at north west end, flanked by stair turrets, which project slightly from side walls; chapel, over schoolroom, with gallery to 3 sides and organ bay over vestry at south east end. Gothic style. Symmetrical north west 3-bay entrance gable over plinth, with bays divided by buttresses surmounted by spirelets, those flanking central bay square and weathered and octagonal ones to corners. Central shouldered doorway with original doors resited to inner face of wall, blind traceried tympanum over; all within pointed arched gabled outer porch doorway with fluted square jambs with moulded capitals surmounted by pinnacles. Flanking single-light trefoil-headed windows and 4 shouldered arched windows above porch and 3 tall pointed arched windows rising into gable over; central window taller and wider with 3 lights instead of 1, moulded pier and impost capitals; hoodmoulds and relieving arches over, and gable ventilator. Left and right-hand stair well bays: each bay has blind arch over plinth framing inscription; tall 2-light pointed mid floor stair window with double transom, roundel, hoodmould and relieving arch; blind trefoil-headed arcade band over. Side walls are identical except for organ and vestry bay which is lit to south west stair turret side and blind to opposite side. Each side wall has stair projection at north west side and 4 bays of 2-light windows, square-headed to basement and with double transoms, pointed arches and roundels to first floor. Each stair turret has chamfered doorway with original door within outer pointed arch framing blind tympanum with roundel. Hoodmould to doorway and lancet over. Windows have original leaded glass to entrance front and stairs, otherwise iron casements. Interior is virtually as built except for alteration for insertion of central stair within entrance, circa 1904 to designs by Mr Collins, an architect of Redruth and carried out by Mr W.H. Moyle. The Gallery, semi-circular on plan at the north west end, with panelled front, is carried on cast iron columns. The organ, fitted circa 1900 is within a room behind the rostrum linked to the main building by a pointed moulded chancel arch with hoodmould, and inner order carried on short columns. The main T-stair (1904) has turned balusters also survive, 2 flights flanking main stair, and one flight for access to vestry. The roof structure is a dominant feature, mock hammer beam with square section iron ties and crown hangers with mouldings to obscure joints. Rostrum with lecturn over blind arcade with turned balustrades to either side terminating in pedestals surmounted by candelabra, flanked by 2 flights of steps, and with communion rail balustrade to front. Pews are pitch pine with panelled backs, shaped ends and intermediate ramped armrests. Granite coped rubble walling to entrance, main gate-piers with moulded caps. Iron gates. Walter Visick Asst. Sec of Visick's Foundry, nearby, was one of the original trustees (1878) and it is very likely that the ironwork of the chapel was manufactured there. Historical information from the centenary booklet PERRANWELL METHODIST CHURCH, a useful source, and including a list of the original trustees. This building was constructed in 1878 for a relatively small community, and as such is remarkably ambitious in design and scale. It is virtually complete despite small fires in 1922 and 1976 which threatened to destroy it, but fortunately extinguished in time.

Listing NGR: SW7762339465

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 63626

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Perranwell Methodist Church Centenary Booklet,

End of official listing