This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD HALL

List entry Number: 1149393

Location

THE OLD HALL, HIGH SAINT AGNESGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ripon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 330064

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 3171 RIPON HIGH SAINT AGNESGATE 1/4 (north side) 27.5.49 The Old Hall GV II*

1738 (altered in mid C19). Dated in iron ties on the north gable, and this date is confirmed by an insurance badge of the London Assurance Company dateable to 1740. The south gable has the patron's initials, "IM" in iron ties.

Red brick, Flemish bond. Welsh slate roof (probably C19). Two storeys and attics. Modillion eaves cornice. Five bays, with an additional bay at north end, recessed very slightly and blind to principal facade. Sashes with chanelled voussoirs and C19 glazing bars, except for 2 southern ground floor windows, which are mid C19 French casements. Doorway with semi-circular glazing bars, chanelled quoins and voussoirs. Service wing to rear.

Interior. Outstanding staircase hall with high quality plasterwork typical of circa 1740, viz: ceiling of lower hall has roundel with figure of Cupid, framed by foliage drops: stair walls have foliage swags; over window is an owl (symbol of Pallas Athene) framed by more swags; and ceiling of upper hall is filled by a particularly large Judgement of Paris scene. Lower hall has pine wainscotting. Staircase has slender (non-shaped) balusters of oak. North ground floor room wainscotted throughout, with arched recess on one side, and an elaborately carved overmantel (possibly a slightly later addition). South ground floor room altered in mid C19. Two upstairs rooms wainscotted throughout with fielded panels, one of them with fluted Doric pilasters.

Listing NGR: SE3145571033

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 31457 71029

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1149393 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 03:07:33.

End of official listing