- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159175.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2021 at 04:09:14.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
SX 07 SW
Country House. Circa 1696 (datestone), probably with earlier origins. Probably rebuilt for Edward Hoblyn who died in 1704. Local slatestone rubble; ashlar slatestone front with moulded slate plinth. Slate roof with hipped ends and gable end to rear left (north west) wing. Stone rubble axial, rear lateral and end stacks. Plan: Original plan uncertain. The house was a seat of the Roscarrock family and a Charles Roscarrock was recorded as having 11 hearths in the hearth tax returns for 1664. It is therefore possible that this refers to Croan and suggests that the house may have substantial earlier origins. However the detailing of the existing house appears to date almost entirely from the late C17 and is very complete. The house is of in overall 'L' shaped plan with a front (south) range of 3 room plan and a rear left hand (north west) wing of 2 room and passage plan. The three front rooms are heated by fireplaces on the rear walls; the right and large central entrance hall heated by rear lateral stacks later incorporated as axial stacks and the left hand room has an axial stack. The late C17 stair is accommodated in a stair projection to the rear right of the central entrance hall and has possibly been partly reset. The rear wing comprises a two room plan with the main entrance leading into a passage directly to the rear of the front range, linking with the stair. In the circa early C20 the stair hall was partly remodelled to accommodate a corridor which was added on the ground and first floor along the east wall of the rear (north west) wing to improve circulation. In circa C19 a wing of one=room plan was added to the rear of the front right hand room, adjoining the stair projection. Also possibly in the late C19 or early C20 a service room, now used as a cottage, was added on the west side of the rear left hand (north west) wing. There is a datestone of 1696 on a chimneypiece in a bedroom in the rear wing and much of the bolection moulded panelling within the house would appear to be co-eval. However, an estate map, of Croan, signed George Withiell of Plymouth, Philemoth, Anno 1702, illustrates the south front of Croan with a symmetrical seven window front as existing but with mullion and transom windows and with a central pediment. It is possible that the mullion and transom windows were never installed, being superseded by the more fashionable 12-pane sashes with heavy glazing bars as existing. Although the central bay of the house is set slightly forward there is little evidence to indicate whether the pediment existed; the roof structure has been largely replaced in the C19 and C20. Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 7 window south front with complete early C18 12-pane sashes with heavy glazing bars and dressed stone flat arches. Ashlar freestone doorcase with pulvinated frieze in cornice and console brackets. The door is partly glazed and appears to be late C17 or early C18, or made up of reused parts features including heavy glazing bars and three raised and fielded panels. The central three bays are set slightly forward. Deep moulded eaves cornice on brackets. Right-hand (east) side elevation has a large painted coat of arms depicting the Tremayne arms quartered with Carew. The left-hand (west) elevation comprises an asymmetrical four window front with the main entrance to right of centre. To left, C19 tripartite sash and chamfered granite 4-centred arch with diagonal stops, possibly reset but of late C16 or early C17 origin now within the C19 or early C20 service wing, now a cottage. Tripartite sash to right with circa C20 partly glazed door with bracketted hood. Four 12-pane sashes on first floor and three hipped full dormers to attic. Deep moulded eaves cornice on brackets. Rear (north) elevation has a stair projection, the stair lit by a late C17 round headed stair window with heavy glazing bars. Interior: Complete and of a high quality. The main south front range has complete bolection moulded panelling in the left-hand room, late C17 moulded cornice and 8- panel doors with raised and fielded panels. Central room has moulded late C17 cornice and a fine bolection moulded chimney-piece with central raised panel. C17 Delft tiles reset in fireplace opening. The right-hand room on the east has complete bolection moulded panelling with late C17 moulded cornice which breaks forward in the centre of the 4 walls and at the corners. The chimney-piece has been altered in the C19 and C20 and has reset C17 Delft tiles in the reveals of the fireplace. Simple small plaster motif in centre of ceiling, possibly C18 with four heart shaped patterns. The room to the rear of the left-hand room in the rear wing has two large boxed ceiling beams. The fine circa late C17 stair has possibly been partly reset and is an open well stair with a closed string, deep moulded rail and has alternating barley-sugar twist and turned vase-shaped balusters. Above the stair is a square panel in the ceiling with a trompe l'oeil painting of circa C17 Italian type, the figures leaning over a square balcony with a blue sky above. A circa early C20 balustrade has been added to the first floor in the corridor extension. Complete C18 2-panel doors in front range. The room on front right has complete original shutters and raised and fielded panelling. The central room has been partly divided with later partitions introduced; the raised and fielded panelling survives in part with the bolection moulded chimney-piece and a painted panel above dated 1903. The top left-hand room retains the original bolection moulded chimney-piece with pilasters flanking the central panel above. Directly to rear (north) of this room is a further bedroom with late C17 moulded cornice and chimney-piece with datestone 1696 in the capitals of the pilasters above. The central panel is painted with a still life in oil. The roof structure above the front range has been largely replaced in the C19 and C20. The earlier principals appear to have been halved, lap-jointed and pegged at the apices, chamfered, probably below the collars and had trenched purlins. In the rear left-hand wing the principals appear to have been partly halved, lapped and pegged at the apices although a full inspection of this part of the roof was not accessible. Croan passed from the Crowan family to the Roscarrocks and then to Edward Hoblyn who died in 1704. Dalton Clifford, H 'Far from the Madding Crowd', Country Life July 28 1960. Maclean, Sir J Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor, 1876. Stoate, T. L. Cornwall Hearth and Poll Taxes 1660-1664. Estate map in possession of Miss D. Tremayne.
Listing NGR: SX0296671596
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879)
Stoate, T L , Cornwall Hearth and Poll Taxes 1660-1664, (1981)
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1960)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing