This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD ALMSHOUSES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD ALMSHOUSES

List entry Number: 1204723

Location

THE OLD ALMSHOUSES, THE HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Lincolnshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Worlaby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Jun-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165951

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WORLABY THE HILL TA 01 SW (north side) 5/44 The Old Almshouse 19/10/51 (formerly listed as Bellasys Hospital (Almshouses)) GV II * Hospital or Almshouses, now house. 1663 by William Catlyn for John, Lord Bellasyse. Later outshut to left and alterations to roof. Red brick in English bond, with tuck pointing to pilasters and window surrounds and scored joints to remainder; rubbed brick and ashlar details. Pantile roof. Artisan Mannerist style. 2-room central entrance-hall plan. 2 storeys, 5 bays; symmetrical, Tall ovolo-moulded plinth; Doric pilasters between bays with painted moulded brick and ashlar bases and capitals, decorated with inset carved ashlar tablets, those at the top of each pilaster bearing a single digit of the date. Flight of 5 stone steps to entrance: raised surround with inset ashlar tablets supporting entablature with rubbed brick cornice and plain frieze; recessed round-headed pitch-pine door with Gothick panelling in painted brick surround with rubbed brick archivolt and moulded imposts. 2-light casements with iron-framed leaded lights and chamfered ashlar sills in raised brick surrounds with single ashlar tablets to each side and rubbed brick entablatures similar to entrance. Round-arched entrance to left outshut has re-set pine door with Gothick panelling. First floor: similar windows and surrounds linked by raised brick frieze supported by pilasters. Painted brick modillion eaves cornice. Left and right returns have 2-course brick bands at first-floor and eaves level. Rear: stairwindow with later blocked opening below; corbelled brick cornice with 2 cogged and 1 plain course; pair of large 3-stage lateral stacks with C20 top sections. Interior. Ovolo-chamfered pitch-pine beams to both ground-floor rooms; open well staircase altered but probably retaining original moulded handrail. Lord Bellasyse (or Bellasis), Baron of Worlaby, a leading Royalist commander, established the almshouse for 4 poor widows, and it remained in use until the present century. William Catlyn (1628-1709), Hull's leading bricklayer-designer, built Brigg Grammar School (1678) and was almost certainly responsible for Wilberforce House, Hull, as well as the Worlaby Hospital and Bellasyse's Hall nearby, now demolished. Nattes' drawing shows the hospital with curvilinear gables. A distinguished and important early brick building. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 431; drawing by C Nattes, 179, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library; D Neave, "William Catlyn of Hull, the Architect of Wilbeforce's Birthplace?", East Yorkshire Local History Society Bulletin, No 28, Autumn 1983, 8-12.

Listing NGR: TA0175713982

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 431
'East Yorkshire Local History Society Bulletin' in Autumn, , Vol. 28, (1983), 8-12

National Grid Reference: TA 01757 13982

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204723 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 01:58:07.

End of official listing