Buckingham Palace, Westminster, Greater London
This aerial view of the Palace show the layout and large grounds behind. The Victoria Monument stands in front at the top of The Mall. Arlington House stood on this site until it was burnt down in 1674. It was rebuilt by the Duke of Buckingham between 1702 and 1705 as Buckingham House. The present day Royal palace is the result of remodeling and enlargment by Nash. He designed it to a quadrangle plan in monumental Graeco-Roman style. His building work lasted from 1826 to 1830. He was replaced by Edward Blore who completed this phase of building in 1837. The facade facing the Mall was remodelled by Sir Aston Webb in Portland stone in 1913.