Cathedral of St Mary, Worcester, Worcestershire
A view of the former Benedictine priory from the river. The Cathedral of St Peter was built around 680. A separate monastery of St Mary, probably a double house, was created in 743. In 969, Bishop Oswald began the construction of a new cathedral with the monks from both former houses. By 977 it had been reformed to the Benedictine order. The present cathedral church dates from 1084. The cathedral priory was dissolved in 1540 at the dissolution. The monks were replaced by secular canons and Worcester continued as a Reformation Cathedral.