Preaching Cross, Widemarsh Street, Hereford, Herefordshire

This Preaching Cross dates back to the 14th century and was restored in the 19th century. It was associated with the Blackfriars Monastery in the city. The Blackfriars were also known as the Friars Preachers and regularly gave sermons to the local people from their preaching crosses. These are now extremely rare and this is actually the only remaining example of a friar's preaching cross in England.


Herefordshire Hereford


Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)


cross religion faith dominican Medieval (1066 - 1484)