The Bridewell, Bridewell Place, City of London, Greater London
This is a Victorian engraving of the London Bridewell. The hospital dates back to the reign of Henry VIII. It was built built by Thomas Wolsey from 1510 but was transferred to King Henry VIII in 1515. In 1553 Edward VI gave the palace to the City for the reception of vagrants and homeless children and for the punishment of petty offenders and disorderly women. The City of London took full possession of the building in 1556 and converted the palace into a prison, hospital and workrooms that became known as Bridewell Royal Hospital and Bridewell Prison. It was also referred to as Bridewell Palace for the 'correction' of 'habitual idlers'. Like other hospitals and almshouses that eventually passed to the control of civic authorities, it became a public hospital funded through donations, parish collections and taxes on companies. The prison closed in 1855 and the buildings were demolished in 1863-1864.